I don't know about any of you, but I have never been MORE aware of colon cancer (and liver cancer) than I am right now. Interestingly enough, March is National Colon Cancer Awareness Month.
Coincidence? Is there such a thing?
Hey, you know what seems like a big deal but is actually not a big deal at all? Getting a colonoscopy. It doesn't hurt. Tell your dads and especially tell your moms. My mother-- healthy as all get-out for 60 years-- had absolutely NO physical signs or symptoms of colon cancer until it had already spread to her liver.
Cancer is more prevalent than ever these days. I saw a local news story about how cancer in house pets is at an all time high. The story explained how there were lots of great new treatments and drugs that you could spend thousands of dollars on to try and cure your pet, but no mention of WHY the cancer rate in housepets has gone up so much. I suppose nobody (certainly not the Bush administration) wants to discuss the extreme toxicity of our environment. The air we breathe, the water we drink, the clothes we wear, the buildings we work in, the food we eat the electronics we use-- our bodies are being bombarded with chemicals and radiation from all sides. It doesn't take a genius to realize what's going on. It's time we examine Rover, Fido, and Muffy for the coal mine canaries they really are. We have got to give ourselves a fighting chance here, people.
And I suppose awareness is the first step.
The next step might be to get rid of your microwave, stop smoking, buy (and eat) organic produce and give up soda pop.
This has been a Sandwich Monkey Public Service Announcement.
Good night and good luck.
Tuesday, March 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment